I’ve never been to Disney World in cool weather. I’ve only been there when it’s hot and when it’s hotter. Oh and when it’s hellishly hot and oppressively humid. I hear it’s nice when it’s cool. I can never bring myself to miss out on the pool and water rides, so I’ve never wanted a cool-weather (does that even exist in Florida?) Disney vacation.
But I do appreciate a nice cool break from the unending FL heat and sunshine. There is nothing more refreshing than feeling the unlimited Disney a/c hit your face as the sun disappears off your back.
Here are some great ways to beat the heat while in WDW.
- Eat – in a nicely air-conditioned restaurant. Eating in Disney can be an event all it’s own if you choose correctly. In addition to dining on scrumptious food and soaking up the detailed atmosphere, you will also have a chance to rest those piggies. By the time you’re done dining, you’ll wish you had a sweater as you soon realize just how chilly Disney keeps these restaurants. That heat and sunshine will have never felt so good when you step back outside – at least for the first few minutes!
- Shop – I love walking down any of the main corridors of the parks and feeling the cold air spill out onto the sidewalks. It always amazes me that the doors are always open and just how enticing that a/c is. Don’t think this is an accident as you’re sure to find something you’d like to purchase while you’re there!
- Enjoy a dark ride – Many of the dark rides are just as good as sitting down to watch a show – they are cool and relaxing. A few minutes on my favorite, The Pirates of the Caribbean or just a chance to check things out from above on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (it’ll always be the Wedway People Mover to me) can refresh you and add some enjoyable time to your day in the park.
- Nap – I’m not a napper – and I especially shudder at the thought of napping while at Disney World – but if you need a rest or have little with you, then maybe a nap is just what you need to cool off and recharge.
- Take a swim – Stop back at your hotel or either (RIP River Country – sniff, sniff) of the Disney waterparks for a mid-day swim.
- Catch a Show – There are many shows or attraction-like shows inside the parks that are cool and dark and completely enjoyable on a hot day.
The Hall of Presidents
Festival of the Lion King